I love quinoa. I love its nutty flavour and slightly crunchy texture. I love the way it looks in the pan when the little curly germ comes away from the grain-like seed, indicating that it is ready to serve. Here are some of my favourite ways to eat it.
- For breakfast or pudding, cook in orange juice instead of water, with raisins and pumpkin seeds.
- Cook some leeks and mushrooms in olive oil, then stir in cooked quinoa and cubes of goats’ cheese.
- Cook the quinoa and then stir in roasted squash (butternut squash would be a good choice) and chick peas.
- Roast some aubergines, red peppers and halloumi. Then stir in cooked quinoa.
- Use it as a stuffing for peppers. Mix cooked quinoa with chopped tomatoes, pine nuts and grated cheese. Cut the peppers in half and stuff with the mixture before drizzling with olive oil and cooking in the oven.
- Mix with peas, spring onions, feta and parsley for a delicious salad.
- Add some to your home made soup for a nutrient boost.