This wonderful winter squash has a bluish grey skin and a vivid orange flesh. Its flavour is deliciously sweet and nutty. Here are seven ideas for how to use it.
- Roasted. Just slice the squash, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs before roasting it in the oven. There’s no need to remove the skin – it comes off more easily after roasting.
- Soup. You can cook the squash in a pan but the flavour is more intense if you roast it in the oven. Add some warming spices such as ginger and chilli, and some cream for a rich flavour. You can incorporate other vegetables such as carrots, leeks or tomatoes.
- Squash pie. Crown Prince squash has a sweet flavour that makes it an ideal alternative to pumpkin for making pumpkin pie. Mix eggs, pureed squash and condensed milk and add spices such as ginger, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour into a pastry case and bake. Instead of condensed milk you can use cream or evaporated milk and then sweeten with brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Frittata. Squash and egg are a great combination. Add some sage too, and your favourite cheese.
- Risotto. Roast the squash first and make sure you use a good risotto rice such as Carnaroli or Arborio.
- Pasta filling. Squash makes a delicious filling for ravioli or other stuffed pasta.
- Curry. Crown Prince Squash is a perfect ingredient in a delicious curry. Use coconut milk in the sauce. It goes well with chick peas or lentils too.